Children... I've been nannying for some friends of mine who have two beautiful little boys. One is ten months, the other three years. There is something so incredibly humbling about toddlers. There's no monitoring, no screening, no bleeps... it's just straight up honesty. It's been an amazing week of humility. However, despite the small toddler frustrations, it has all in all been such a gift to nanny for this family. I count them as dear friends and feel honored to play some role, however small, in their family. The boys are such fun, and I'm happy to say that in the past week I have gotten to drive a mini van and watch "Free Willy" about four times. My hat's off to you mothers who have more than one child. You deserve awards.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my week of trying and testing out my remembered theory on looks and presentation... and have found that when I dress to feel approachable and kind I actually am more approachable and kind. It is sad, yet incredible how the way we present ourselves to the world can actually alter the attitude in which we greet it. I have found that the more I have, the more selfish I become. I have also found the opposite to be true... the less I have the more generous I then become. All I want to be is kind, inclusive, welcoming, generous...
Zacchaeus. I love that Zacchaeus was fancy and wealthy, but when he saw Jesus coming he disregarded it all, and climbed up a tree to see him. I just want to be climbing trees trying to see my Jesus.
Amy and I went back to Big Sur this weekend, and this time enjoyed the company of our other dear friend Karen. We had fun hiking, and climbing, and walking, and exploring... We now know almost everything there is to know about Big Sur, or at least feel as though we do. It's been really amazing for me to have had these two weekends in a place so saturated with beauty and grace. Perspective is sometimes the best medicine. That and water. You can find both in Big Sur, in abundance.

Danielle called me today and told me about a space in Philadelphia that just may be perfect for our coffee shop. It was really nice to have my flame fanned a little, and awaken again to my vision for the next few years. It's amazing how easy it is to forget these little dreams we carry so close to our hearts. We forget them almost as if it's the only way to protect them. I'm afraid I'm more fearful than excited at this point, and sometimes wish I'd forgotten it completely. However when I remember the root of it all, the reason I believed in this vision in the first place, I somehow find enough courage to get excited. I even cracked open the "Everything You Need to Know About Starting a Small Business" book today...
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus.
Look full in his wonderful face.
And the things of this world will grow strangely dim.
In the light of his glory and grace."

So I will go and climb a tree.

Comments

I love your vision so much it makes my heart beat faster. I have been working at starbucks again, and I leave work every day SO pumped on life, because I love my job and my coworkers and my customers and everything that comes with it. Coffee shops are wonderful places, especially with laundrymats and world/community focused involvement. (add a weekly swing dancing night, and a live band and I'm in heaven!)
Can't wait to come visit you. I miss you love.

Popular Posts