Today was amazing. It was another long weekend, filled with thoughts and fears of a new week, but God is faithful. I was stationed in the labour room today. I started a day out with a beautiful woman, monitoring her contractions, taking her vitals, rubbing her back, belly, any place she needed rubbed. It wasn't long till she began to push, and with the help of one of my staff, I successfully delivered my second baby. He was honestly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He was extra dark, beautiful round little head, and a face that made me just about cry. (Which isn't hard these days.) I named him Moses.

The mother had torn down an old episiotomy scar, and needed a few sutures. My staff asked the doctor to do the stitches, as we have not been trained yet in that area. The doctor came over, looked at me and said, "You will assist me this time, and then you will suture the next woman." I agreed sheepishly, praying to the dear Lord Jesus that the woman labouring in the bed next to us would not tear. The doctor was amazing and walked me through what she did for each layer of tissue. She was so instructive, and patient. Then when she got to the skin she said, "Okay, the skin is easy, you will do." I stared at her for a moment in shock, then I began to sweat, and sweat hard. "I will need much instruction." "Okay," she says and hands me the needle. "Ahhhhhhh, is she kidding me?" I thought to myself, as I watched my hand holding the needle shake. "Alright, here I go." The doctor was so kind and gracious, she walked me through the whole thing, and I can now say that I have sutured. It was really wild, and I was sweating and shaking the whole time. The doctor was probably thinking, "We let this girl deliver babies?"

After lunch I successfully inserted a cannula and IV line. I've tried before, on Hollie, for practice, but it was not as graceful. This woman had beautiful veins, (Thank you Lord) and it was really easy to find a good spot. It was really nice.

I continued to monitor that woman for the rest of the afternoon. We stayed over and hour past the end of our shift, and she was still only at 4 cm. So I didn't see her deliver, but it was so amazing to labour with her for so long. She was so cute. The beds are metal, so she was sliding herself from the end of the bed to the top during her contractions. She'd sing really frantically, then make noises like a cartoon. All I could think of was Roger Rabbit. At times I had to turn my head so I could smile, she was the cutest thing I've ever seen. She would grab at anything possible during contractions as well, so my hand, my neck, my bottom... anything she could give a firm sqeeze to relieve some of the tension. Because I was rubbing her belly and her legs, she'd take my hand and shove it to a place she wanted me to rub, then just hit her head, or shake her hands in the air. When her contractions would stop she'd hold my chin. Ahh, she was amazing. I had a fun afternoon with her, I sadly can't say the same for her, but I do hope I helped.

It's amazing what can happen in you when you realize that you have nothing to offer the world except the love of Christ. Everything changes. Life makes sense. You can do things you never thought possible. Like suture, or insert a cannula. Amen. He is so good.

Comments

Popular Posts