To start our time in Cairo we read through the whole bible in a matter of a few days. We split into groups of two, each taking a book of the bible, and just tore through it. When we’d finish one book, we’d move along to the next. It was amazing to speak such truth into a place before beginning our work there. I felt as if it truly made a difference. We have begun that again in India. So for the last few days we have used the mornings to read through some of the books of the Old Testament. I reckon we’ll be finished reading through it in the next day or so, then on to the New Testament. The first day of bible reading, three others from my team and I went to this beautiful park near where we stay. While we were reading these two Indian men came up to Mattias and asked him to tell them about “our book”. Mattias got to tell them all about it.

In the afternoon we’ve been finishing up our lectures. This week we are studying post partum hemorrhage. Yesterday I found myself reviewing all that I have learned since July. I was overwhelmed realizing how much I have grown, how much I have gained from this school. I love learning. It’s so much fun. Midwifery is honestly the most interesting topic. There is so much to learn, so much to know, but it’s all so interesting; especially when you have to put together dances about how to assess puerperal sepsis, or a drama about primary post partum hemorrhage. Not only have I learned a lot, but I’ve had so much fun doing so.


Then Tuesday, at around noon, we were meant to go for what we thought was an “introduction time” with our contacts here. We ended up at two different HIV clinics and did not return home until ten o’clock last night. Sometimes the miscommunication and confusion of India can actually prove to be wonderful little surprises. Our contacts ended up being this beautifully amazing Indian couple, both doctors. They have started an HIV clinic here in Hyderabad. I was blown away listening to this doctor speak with such wisdom, knowledge, and utter abandonment to the kingdom, and our beautiful King. He has been doing this work for years, and yet he still handles each patient with such gentleness, love and care. Despite the strong beliefs many of the patients hold, he prays for each one of them; and not just a prayer, but a whole hearted plea, and song of praise. His prayers were specific to each patient’s needs, and so direct. I later told some of the girls that I may have only come to this school to meet God fearing, and humble doctors; to see medicine done right. In Egypt and now here, I have been blessed and changed by doctors practicing medicine the way it was intended to be practiced- with love, wisdom, thoroughness and kindness.
The doctor invited us out to the sister city of Hyderabad to a World Vision HIV clinic. It was so amazing to see World Vision in action. I, at one point as a teenager, supported a world vision child. Of course, the selfishness and naivety of my youth overtook my good intentions and I stopped sending my monthly gift. But the memory of little girl lives on in my mind, and I can only wonder if some of my monthly gifts went to this clinic or something like it. It was really amazing to see the thousands of dollars people send to World Vision children truly be put to use, and amazing things happen because of them. The money that is sent is used to not only sponsor and support the child, but it also goes to sustainable community development in the child’s community. They get invited into a community, they fill the community’s largest need, be it an HIV clinic, a new school or education system, a feeding program, or a church. Most importantly, they rise up people in the community to run the project and make it their own.

“Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a life time.”

I saw the money given by hundreds of people around the world being used to transform not only a community, but people’s lives. Their $20 or so a month are providing education, health care, nutrition and support to 227 HIV positive men, women and children.

This is worth while. This is worth supporting. I tend to be leery of sending money to large organizations, cynical about where it will go, and how it will be used. But this organization is a voice for the voiceless. It is addressing the needs of the poor and needy, and filling them. And not only the immediate, but the long term. They are transforming communities. Life by life, village by village, city by city, project by project, they are changing the world.

And I count myself blessed to have been a witness to these amazing works yesterday. My prayer is to be able to work with them much more throughout my stay here; to learn from their selflessness, their wisdom, and their strategy.
Empowering the people… brilliant, selfless, this will change the world.




My life in the last three days has been transformed as well. However, the transformation is slightly less beautiful and thought provoking than that of the HIV clinics. Some of the ways of India I remember fondly and have looked forward to, and some are not so fondly remembered, nor looked forward too. Some of these I look forward to are- sweet lassi, eating with my hands, chai, punjabis, bangles, beautiful women dressed in beautiful colours, and green trees. Some of these not as fondly remembered being cold bucket showers, lack of toilet paper, deadly traffic, and punjabi shopping. Thankfully, these have all worked together to form a comforting and familiar atmosphere. Even when my shower takes my breath away… I simply think of it as “refreshing”. Hum-dil-alah.

Be blessed dear friends.
Be strong, take heart, and wait on the Lord.

Comments

Anonymous said…
how much longer until you are done with your training?
Bess Anne said…
Mikael- I'll be done at the end of May. Five more months. Wild.

Popular Posts