A question, and my answer from the exam that sparked the discussion--- Sort of silly, but interesting to think about.

Topic 5- If you could choose to talk to one deity that we studied, which would it be, what would you ask, and what do you think that god’s answer would be? If you want to set this up in the form of a conversation, feel free.
One day I was pondering the role of women in the world, and wondering why throughout history women have seemed to be held down, misunderstood, and silenced. I decided the only way I would find an answer to this question was to ask the stereotype herself, the most misunderstood, the “White-armed”-- Hera. So I went to her in Argos, and found her surrounded by beautiful peacocks and cows.
I asked her, “Hera, wife of Zeus, are you really as wild as they made you out to be, and if not, why did you allow such a misrepresentation to happen? You are powerful, beautiful, and the protector of mothers, and yet you portray us as hyper-emotional, jealous, and ruthless. You could have spent so much more time protecting, empowering and nurturing mothers. Perhaps maternal and infant mortality could have been alleviated if you had only stopped chasing after Zeus’s mistresses and paid attention to more important things. You could have overthrown Zeus if you had only focused on how powerful you could have been. While he was gallivanting about being unfaithful, you could have mustered up all of that beautiful woman-strength and defeated patriarchy. Being a midwife myself, I am offended by your distraction and seeming disregard for mothers and women.”
Hera looked at me for a long time and spoke with reservation and wisdom.
“Yes, I was portrayed as such. I was jealous, and ruthless. My stories were written by men scared of what women were, and what they could be. Within their stories, I tried to tell my own. For example, my jealousy only tells of how painful and destructive infidelity can be. My strength, showed in my revenge upon Zeus’s mistresses tells of what women are capable of, and that we are to be respected and revered. Though the strength is misguided, it is real, and portrayed mysteriously as men understand it. As far as overthrowing Zeus, you and I both know that men desire, more than women, to feel as though they are in control and powerful. Women can be leaders in more modest ways, without whistles and bells, while being equally powerful. I prove stereotypes, viewed by the world as negative, but if looked at from a different perspective, should be admired. Our emotional make up, the ability to feel, and feel deeply allows us to experience life in ways men cannot, for better or worse. These stories paint the darker, mysterious side of women that men fear, and this, if examined carefully is the overthrow of patriarchy. And as for my attention to mothers, most of my nurturing side goes unrecorded; which doesn’t bother me, as I need no affirmation.”
I left Argos with a greater understanding of how “They could honour her equally with Zeus who loves thunder and lightning.” (Hymn to Hera, pg 111)

Comments

Matthew Gerig said…
Yep, still one of the most remarkable answers I have ever read to any question, ever. Forget midwifery, you shall be my very own personal question-answerer, and boy do I have a grip of them for you.
Anonymous said…
Brilliant, my dreamer-philosopher-midwife friend! It reminds me again that perspective is everything, that history tells the perspective of the winner, the conquerer, and is therefore tainted. It reminds me how easily women can be their own oppressors, limiting the potential of their sex through suspicion, insecurity, and fear. But, oh, how a little perspective changes everything!
Still, I hear people say foolish things like, "Women are too emotional..." Really? Is anger not an emotion? Which gender acts on this most destructive of emotions most often? If we had a president who cried more and bombed less, would this be problematic?
OK, I'm ranting.
What I meant to say is, best answer ever.
Anonymous said…
Bess that was so neat to read and encouraging, really. Also I totally agree chrissiwright. Thanks for sharing that.
Anonymous said…
hi! ummm.... what cultural traditions class are you in? who is your teacher?

we continue to study the same things!

Popular Posts