Alas, October is coming to a close and I have yet to write a few words to capture it. It seems that time for writing is few and far between these days, but I always seem to be documenting something or another in my mind as the days progress. So, today I will let these thoughts escape from my tiny little jumbled mind, fall down my arms and through my fingertips where I can share them with you. School continues to ebb and flow, as does my energy. I've learned that when it rains it pours in the world of academia, much like it is doing outside now. The same storm to cancel the World Series has kept me inside all day. I've enjoyed school for the most part. I love the exercise of my mind, and the interesting things that are stirred because of it. However, I'm not sure if I have even scratched the surface of this endless void of restlessness that seems to plague me where ever I go. I seem to always long for what is just over the hill. This restlessness has seemingly been exaggerated lately due to some much needed, much appreciated traveling.
Matt and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Oregon and California. We flew into Portland at 11 pm west coast time, rented a car and drove straight to Bend. We spent some treasured time with Matt's dear friend Chrissi and her husband Kevin. I fell in love with them instantly, which Matt warned me I would. Bend was so beautiful, and seemed to be calling me towards her snow capped mountains, and quaint tree lined highways. It was perhaps good that we only stayed one day, as any more would have made our departure that much harder. We then drove to Matt's home town which fondly reminded me of the town I grew up in. It was a small country town with back roads like small veins going this way and that, easily navigated by those who had traveled them day in and day out for a life time. It was nice to feel a sense of comradery with him, as if we had at least a small understanding of where each other had come from. The small town mind set is not easily grasped by those who have grown up outside of it. Much, I'm sure, like the city mind set that I've been longing to grasp for the last five years. I enjoyed a few days getting to know Matt's parents, and meeting various other parts of his family. My anxiousness prior to our visit was unwarranted. He has a wonderful family, and it was hard to say goodbye.We left Oregon at 8pm on Tuesday, and arrived at my dad's house at 8:30am the next morning. The drive wasn't all that bad. However... Matt has never let me drive during our wonderful little relationship. He fears that I will drive like a "grandma" as he describes it, (I apologize to all of the grandmothers reading this. This is a horrible stereotype put on you by awful drivers like Matt. I think slow and steady wins the race.) Anyhow, I will admit that my night driving is not the best, and that it is a bit hard to get back into the game after 10 months of not driving. So, here I am driving the beautiful, windy dark roads of Northern California, up by Shasta. The road was lit only by the light of the full moon, and the snow capped mountains loomed above me. I had been driving for a few hours at this point, and had noticed a patrol car had been following me for about 30 minutes. This made me very nervous, of course. So, I did what any wise driver would have done, I drove the speed limit, and changed lanes for him to pass me. His authority hung over me as he followed just far enough behind me. I felt my pulse start to race, my sweat glands open, my stomach turn. Then, the lights. Matt was sleeping in the passenger side, and woke up just in time to see the officer approach his window, and tell me I was driving 50 mph and all over the road. I of course was outraged as the officer walked off with my license. Matt of course had a jolly good laugh. I drove away without a ticket, but a severely bruised ego. I still claim that my driving was impeccable. The officer was clearly mistaken. He was probably tired.
We arrived in California with three days left. We drove the whole county visiting family, friends, and my favorite California spots. I met my darling new nephew Andy, and was amazed at the beautiful little girl Julie Bess is quickly becoming. We enjoyed days out at my mom's ranch, driving around her property on quads and paddling around the small little pond. Matt fit right in with my family and quickly joined conversations about cars, tractors, philosophy, and history. It's incredible how wonderfully everything seems to fit. I couldn't have been more thankful.
The trip left me longing for the west coast life, mostly Oregon. Returning to Philadelphia, and a life of schedules was enough to bring a small tiny little tear to my eye upon landing back on east coast soil. The sweet little dream was over. It was back to the daily grind. I was pleasantly surprised the next day as I was riding my bike to work, when I seemed to remember that I do love Philly. I love her in a very special, very different way. I'm not quite ready to leave her. It was a nice realization. It lasted until we went camping this weekend out in the beautiful Pennsylvania woods. Despite the 16 hours of frigged rain, it was nice to get out of the city. Again, I was not ready to come home. I look forward to the next few months of being here and only here. Its so hard for me to come and go, and long for the places I've just left. I have a wondering heart, I do. Which is why my lifestyle up till now has seemed to fit so well. Although, I need to remember I always longed for "home" whenever I didn't have it. "The grass is always greener." I secretly still believe it. Although, after this rain storm, Philadelphia is sure to be the brightest of all greens. And there you have it. October.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are so beautiful, body and soul.

Popular Posts